Once you’re baking regularly, you may find the full recipe for Sourdough Wheat and Rye Bread to be cumbersome. Here’s a cheat sheet you can keep by your side.
Making Sourdough Wheat and Rye Bread: At a Glance
Day One: Feed Starter
- To ½ cup starter, add ¼ cup each flour and water; then ½ cup each flour and water; then 1 cup each flour and water (at roughly 4-hour intervals).
- Return starter to refrigerator.
Day Two: Make Dough
- Combine starter, flour, barley malt and water. Rest, covered, 20 minutes to 1 hour. Add salt and knead 10 minutes.
- Put dough into lightly-oiled bowl and rest, covered, 2-7 hours (depending on temperature).
- Shape boule and rest, covered, about 1 hour more.
- Transfer dough to refrigerator.
Day 3: Bake bread
- Preheat oven and pot to 450 degrees and take dough out of refrigerator.
- After 1 hour, sprinkle oats on bottom of loaf and score top. Spritz inside of pot twice in first 5 minutes of baking. Bake 40 minutes more.
- Remove bread from oven and cool before slicing.
Next Up: Brotform
Copyright 2014, Ellen Arian, Ellen’s Food & Soul